- 250 g plain flour
- 280 g butter, very cold
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 120 ml of ice-cold water
- Diced the cold butter into the flour with a knife or dough scraper. Continue until the mixture looks crumbly and the butter pieces are around the size of peas.
- Make a well in the middle and pour in the ice cold water. Work it gradually until the mixture comes together into a ball.
- Turn the dough over a floured surface and shape it into a square. Roll out the dough into a rectangle that is twice as long as it is wide.
- Fold it in at each third lengthwise — like a letter.
- Rotate it 90 degrees and repeat the last two steps.
- Cover the dough so that it doesn't dry and cool it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Repeat the rolling-folding-cooling steps twice more. For the last cooling phase, let the dough rest in the fridge for at least one hour before use.
Adapted from this original recipe