- 1 cucumber
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- Olive oil
- 2 cups plain yogurt, strained (or thick greek yogurt)
- White or black pepperoptional
- Chopped fresh dill or mintoptional
- Grate the cucumbers. You can use a box grater or do as I do and use a food processor for a shortcut. Add a pinch of salt with the sliced cucumbers in the food processor and run the processor until the cucumber is finely chopped.
- Drain the grated cucumbers. Once grated, transfer the cucumbers to a clean cheesecloth (or a heavy napkin) and squeeze out all the liquid.
- Mix the sauce. In a large bowl, combine the grated or minced garlic with the white vinegar and a little olive oil and mix. Add the drained cucumber mixture to a large bowl, greek yogurt, kosher salt, a pinch of white black pepper, and chopped dill or mint (if using). Stir to combine.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes and up to two hours before serving or serve immediately, if you can't wait, with fresh veggies and pita or chips! Drizzle a little olive oil on top.
Adapted from this original recipe