- 1 small head of red cabbage
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 8 cloves
- 1 green apple, peeled and dicedoptional
- 8 juniper berriesoptional
- Core and chop cabbage. Peel and dice apple.
- Combine all the ingredients in a dutch oven and toss.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and simmer stirring occasionally for at least one hour. You can leave it simmering for a bit longer if needed. It is pretty forgiving. Remove cloves and berries and serve warm.
Adapted from this original recipe