This is a recipe that Niamh recommended to me. And as with most dessert recipes, she was spot on. Definitely one of the best banana breads I have eaten. It has a very strong banana taste, is moist in the inside, but crispy on the outside.
- 115 g butter, cut into chunks
- 160 g brown sugar
- 5 medium-large mashed bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp ground nutmeg
- 260 g flour
- 1 tsp baking soda (Natron)
- >100 sourdough starter (or 1 tsp baking powder)
- >100 g chopped walnutsoptional
- >1 packet vanilla sugaroptional
- Heat oven to 150 °C. Line a 20 cm loaf tin.
- Melt butter in a large pan. Whisk in brown sugar until smooth, then stir in 3 mashed bananas. Whisk in eggs, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda (Natron), and sourdough starter (or baking powder). Whisk until the ingredients are fully dispersed in the batter.
- Add flour, add the chopped walnuts and stir until combined. Add the rest of the bananas (sliced). Scrape batter into prepared loaf tin.
- Bake banana bread for 75 minutes, or more. Test with a knife — the top third is often slowest to cook. The bread will get very dark but will not taste burnt.
- Let cool in pan.