For 4 servings:
- 1 pound kimchi, cut into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup kimchi brine
- 1/2 pound pork shoulder (or pork belly) optional
- 1/2 package tofu, slices of 1 cm thick optional
- 3 green onion
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp gochugaru (Korean hot pepper flakes)
- 1 tbsp gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 cups anchovy stock optional
For stock (makes about 2.5 cups’ worth):
- 7 large dried anchovies, heads and guts removed
- 1/3 cup Korean radish, sliced thinly
- 4 x 5 inches dried kelp
- 3 green onion roots
- 4 cups water
Anchovy stock (can be made vegan as well):
- Put the anchovies, daikon, green onion roots, and dried kelp in a sauce pan.
- Add the water and boil for 20 minutes over medium high heat.
- Lower the heat to low for another 5 minutes.
- Place the kimchi and kimchi brine in a shallow pot. Add pork (optional) and onion
- Slice 2 green onions diagonally and add them to the pot.
- Add salt, sugar, hot pepper flakes, and hot pepper paste. Drizzle sesame oil over top and add the anchovy stock
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes over medium high heat.
- Open and mix in the seasonings with a spoon. Lay the tofu over top.
- Cover and cook another 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Chop 1 green onion and put it on the top of the stew. Remove from the heat and serve right away with rice.