- 115 g butter, cut into chunks
- 160 g brown sugar
- 25 g raw sugar (for topping) optional
- 5 medium-large mashed bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1 packet vanilla sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp ground nutmeg
- 260 g flour (type 405)
- 100 g chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp baking soda (Natron)
- 1 tsp baking powder
For a sourdough version, replace baking powder with 100 g sourdough starter .
- Heat oven to 150ºC. Line a 20 cm loaf tin.
- Melt butter in a large pan. Whisk in brown sugar until smooth, then stir in mashed banana.
- Whisk in eggs and vanilla. Add salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda (Natron), and baking powder (or sourdough starter). Whisk until the ingredients are fully dispersed in the batter.
- Add flour and stir until combined, add the chopped walnuts. Scrape batter into prepared loaf tin.
- Sprinkle the top of the batter with the raw sugar; it will seem like a lot but will bake up beautifully.
- Bake banana bread for 75 minutes, or more. Test with a knife—the top third is often slowest to cook. The bread will get very dark but will not taste burnt.
- Let cool in pan. This banana bread is good on the first day but exceptional on the second and third.